Mephedrone, otherwise known as 4-MMC, Drone, M-CAT, M-Smack, MC, Meow Meow, Meph, Miow, White Magic. These names are all for the same drug. This drug was first sold over the internet as an alternative to drugs like speed, ecstasy and cocaine. Dealers sold the drug as ‘plant food’ or ‘bath salts’ and labelled it ‘not for human consumption’ to get around the law.
It can be consumed by:
- Snorting it
- Swallowing it in ‘bombs’
- Taking capsules and pills
- Injecting it
Mephedrone is used recreationally. There is no medical justification for its psychoactive effects. It is usually sold in powder form, but a much stronger batch of the drug which looks like crystals or shards of glass has hit some areas of the country.
However, it is a mind-altering drug. Mephedrone can become addictive and can negatively affect your body and brain.
Mephedrone addiction like other behavioural addictions is based on the principle of the production of dopamine stimulates the brain to create an impulse to repeat the action or behaviour again. As this action is repeated, more dopamine is stimulated, which in turn creates pleasurable sensations.
This action to some individuals becomes addictive. Trying to achieve that pleasure. This is the basic understanding of how cannabis addiction begins. Some users have reported a strong psychological dependence to the drug, which can lead to the user taking increasing amounts.
Users say it can be very compulsive too, and that once they’ve started a mephedrone session it can be difficult to stop until they’ve used up their entire supply.
The circumstances which lead to an individual engaging in the abuse of Mephedrone, and which may then lead on to addiction, will be unique to them. Therefore, it is difficult to pinpoint exact causes for it.
However, there are certain factors which can make it more likely for an individual to become addicted.
- If a close relative has experienced addiction in their life this may cause you to have a higher chance of having an addictive personality and increased the likelihood of mephedrone addiction
- If you took drugs at an early stage in life, this may increase the chance of developing an addiction
- If you had a disruptive home life as a child, this could increase your chances of developing an addiction
- If the individual has mental health conditions, self-medicating may lead to the person being more susceptible to a cannabis addiction